In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Motorola Solutions is providing recommended cleaning and disinfecting guidelines for 2-way radios, body-worn cameras, and accessories based on current and best understanding of radio hygiene.
Per global health authorities, removing germs, dirt and impurities from surfaces lowers the risk of spreading infection. Using chemical disinfectants may kill germs that remain on surfaces after cleaning, which further lowers the risk of spreading infection.
General Cleaning Recommendations
- Apply 0.5% detergent-water solution with a cloth, then use a stiff, non-metallic, short-bristled brush to work all loose dirt away from the device. Use a soft, absorbent, lintless cloth or tissue to remove the solution and dry the device.
- Make sure that no solution remains entrapped near any connectors, cracks or crevices.
- Devices may be disinfected by wiping them down with over-the-counter isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) with at least 70% alcohol concentration.
- When cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, the alcohol should never be applied directly to the device. It should be applied to a cloth, which is then used to wipe down the device.
- The effects of certain chemicals and their vapors can have detrimental effects on plastics and the metal platings.
Do not use bleach, solvents or cleaning sprays to cleanse or disinfect your device.
Motorola does not certify the above cleaning will remove COVID-19 or other foreign substances, however, the cleaning methods are approved for their products.
Download the Motorola Cleaning and Disinfecting Bulletin
Information from the WHO website: Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19
Information from the US CDC website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)