Adding new Vertex Standard VX-410 or VX-420 radios to your existing fleet is easy with the built-in cloning feature. All you need is a Vertex XURTS0008 CT-27A cloning cable for about $15 to transfer the programming information. A VX-420 will not clone to a VX-410 and all models must be identical using the same VHF or UHF band. The cloning process is quick and can save technical service billing costs.
You will need a “source radio” that has the desired programming information and a “destination radio” for cloning.
- Turn both radios off.
- Remove the plastic dust caps and mounting screws from the right side MIC/SP jacks of both radios (if necessary).
- Connect the CT-27 cloning cable between the MIC/SP jacks of the two radios.
- Press and hold in the PTT and Soft key assigned to “MONITOR” (normally Side Switch 1) while turning the radio on. Do this for both radios (the order of the switch-on does not matter). “CLONE” will appear on the VX-420 displays of both radios when Clone mode is successfully activated. In the case of the VX-410 series, no change will be observed at this point.
- On the “destination radio”, press the Soft key assigned to “MONITOR”. “LOADING” will appear on the VX-420 LCD display. On VX-410 radios the TX/BUSY indicator on the top of the radio will glow Green).
- Press the PTT switch on the “source radio”; “SENDING” will appear on the Source VX-420 radio. On VX-410 radios the TX/BUSY indicator will glow Red and the data will be transferred.
- If there is a problem during the cloning process, “ERROR” will appear on the VX-420 LCD or the TX/BUSY indicator on the top of the VX-410 radio will blink Red. Check your cable connections, battery voltage, and try again.
When the data transfer is successful, the VX-420 display will return to “CLONE” or if a VX-410, the TX/BUSY indicator will turn off. You are now ready for the next radio or turn both radios off and disconnect the CT-27 cable. You can then power on the radios and begin normal operation.
Replace the plastic dust caps and mounting screws for protection unless you are using an audio accessory.