Affects Verizon Wireless AirLink® GX440 and ES440 Devices
The AirLink® GX440 and ES440 for Verizon Wireless are susceptible to a radio module file system corruption issue which is remedied in the latest firmware release. We strongly recommend that all users update ALEOS software to 4.3.5.010B and MC7750 radio module firmware to 03.05.10.13.
All GX440 and ES440 Verizon SKUs Are Affected
1101413 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, AC
1101414 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, DC
1101530 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, AC; WIFI
1101531 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, DC; WIFI
1101729 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, DC; I/0
1101816 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, AC; I/0
1101728 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, AC, ETHERNET
1102024 GX440, VERIZON, ALEOS, DC, ETHERNET
1101996 ES440, VERIZON, ALEOS, AC
GX440 and ES440 Problem Description
The device is unresponsive except for the Power LED which is lit green. When module file system corruption occurs in a GX440 or ES440, the resulting symptoms can vary depending on the ALEOS firmware version running on the device and the severity of the corruption. In most cases the unit is rendered unusable as a gateway.
Observed symptoms include:
- The device enters a continuous cycle of reboots
- The device fails to connect to the cellular network
- The device connects to the LTE network but cannot connect to the EV-DO network
An Emergency Maintenance Release (EMR) of the MC7750 firmware (version 3.05.10.013) has been approved by Verizon Wireless. This firmware contains the following critical resolutions:
- Enhances the file system corruption recovery mechanism to address all corruption cases
- Provides a backup of the complete file system ensuring that EV-DO connectivity is restored in the event of a file system corruption
- Addresses a function in the module GPS system which aggravates the corruption
Please note that the issue is related to firmware operating on the device, and is not caused or aggravated in any way by Verizon Wireless or their network.
Devices Upgraded with MC7750 3.05.10.09
Devices which have been upgraded to MC7750 v3.05.10.09 from previous versions may experience a partial recovery from file corruption whereby CDMA parameters are not restored. In this case, the device may continue to operate when connected to LTE, but cannot connect to EV-DO.
Customers with GX440 and ES440 Verizon devices are very strongly recommended to upgrade their deployments as follows:
- Upgrade the device firmware to ALEOS 4.3.5.010B
- Upgrade the radio module firmware to 3.05.10.13
Any device that has experienced EFS corruption and has any of the symptoms listed in the Issue Description section above, will require an RMA for a MC7750 module replacement.